private-properties-001
private-properties-004
private-properties-011 2016
private-properties-026 2016
private-properties-031
itv-main-banner-hatton-grange

The Properties

Invitation to View properties range from the medieval to the modern and include castles, manor houses, exotic gardens, a textile archive and an international auction house. Most are lived-in family homes, with highly individual – and occasionally eccentric – owners who will chat about the restoration work, decorating schemes and garden plans, along with ghost stories and the challenges of living in a historic house. Click here for a map of the properties.

Property search

Select a property from the list below or by entering the name or location in the Search box. You can also choose a property by region, particular features or historical period using the ‘advanced search’ function.

Property search results
25-27 Church Street 25-27 Church Street, Saffron Walden, Essex

Douglas Kent, a director of SPAB, put his training into reality when he bought an empty, unmodernised Grade I building in Saffron Walden. It’s famous for two huge pargeted figures and is C14, once part of the Sun Inn. Visitors can see his progress and pick his brains.

Abberley Hall Abberley Hall, Worcester, Worcestershire

Grade II* Abberley Hall has been described by English Heritage as one of the finest remaining examples of a Victorian country house. Its history can be traced back to the medieval period but the current house was built by Samuel Daukes in 1845.

Aldenham Park Aldenham Park, Bridgnorth, Shropshire

Grade II* Palladian house. It has strong links with Charles I who took refuge here in a priest hole from Oliver Cromwell (leaving his coat behind) and, later, Charles II presented the Acton family with a fine Van Dyck portrait of his father. This still hangs in the saloon. It was sold by the Acton family to the present owner’s grandfather in 1959 and is now a private family home, which is not normally open to the public.

Ashley Court, Ashley, Tiverton, Devon

Small Regency country house (Grade II) with Victorian stable block and lodge cottage, apple lofts, walled garden and woodland walk. Originally built by Tiverton Wool merchant John Upcott the house was subsequently enlarged with the main building dating from around 1805.

Bawdsey Manor, Bawdsey, Suffolk

Bawdsey Manor is a beautiful, late Victorian house set in 150 acres of historic parkland overlooking the Deben Estuary. Originally a seaside holiday home for the stockbroker Sir Cuthbert Quilter, it was developed into his principal residence over a period of thirty years.

Belchamp Hall, Sudbury, Suffolk

Queen Anne house with family portraits by Thomas Gainsborough. Widely known as 'Felsham Hall' in the TV series 'Lovejoy'.

Belle Grove Belle Grove, Westhall, Suffolk

Extraordinary, memorable house which won the 2011 Homebuilding and Renovating award. ‘Out of a fairy tale,’ said Daily Telegraph spying a 20-foot fierce metal dragon poised on the chimney.

Boconnoc Boconnoc, Lostwithiel, Cornwall

Boconnoc House, the winner of the 2012 HHA/Sotheby’s Award for Restoration was bought with the proceeds of the Pitt Diamond in 1717. Three prime ministers, a history of duals and the architect Sir John Soane play a part in the story of this unique estate. The beautiful woodland garden, the Georgian bath house, Soane stable yard, 15th century church and romantic landscape tempt the explorer.

Braxted Park Braxted Park, Witham, Essex

Mid 18th Century red brick house with earlier features built by Sir Robert Taylor for the cloth merchant, Peter DuCane who lived there 1751-1803. Brick wall of four and a half miles surrounds 500 acres of parkland, lakes, parish church and hermitage.

Bressingham Hall, Bressingham, Diss, Norfolk

This Grade II listed country mansion and its companion High Barn have been lovingly restored to their elegant Regency origins by the Bloom family, which has just celebrated seven decades there. Surrounded by 17 acres of world famous gardens, often seen on TV, there is something for everyone through the seasons.

Brinton Hall Brinton Hall, Melton Constable, Norfolk

A 16th century house extended in 1822 in gault brick by the Brereton family. Award-winning work includes remodelling of the west front and extensive interior restoration including unbricking five Georgian windows. The fine oak staircase is reputed to have originated from Merton place, Horatio Nelson’s last residence.

Brithdir Hall, Welshpool, Wales

Substantial 16th century timber framed hall house with large 17th century porch all encased in Regency remodeling of circa 1815.

Bruisyard Hall Bruisyard Hall, Bruisyard, Suffolk

One of only four abbeys of the Poor Clares, Bruisyard Hall was founded by Maud, Countess of Ulster, in 1354 and was occupied by many courtly ladies. Set within a 700-acre estate, it remains the idyllic country retreat that she wanted it to be.

Brynkinalt Brynkinalt, Chirk, Wrexham

A fine Grade II* house, built in 1612 by Sir Edward Trevor overlooking the Ceiriog Valley on the Wales/Shropshire border, which was then extended in the early 1800s. Still lived in by the Trevor family. Tour covers the formal rooms of the house and family history. Visitors are also welcome to explore the formal west garden and ornamental woodland shrubbery.

Burton Court, Eardisland, Leominster , Herefordshire

Grade II* manor house, with medieval, Regency, Victorian and Edwardian architecture, at the heart of the Black and White Village Trail.

Casterne Hall Casterne Hall, Nr Ashbourne, Derbyshire

Ancient panelled manor house in a romantic location above the Manifold Valley. The house was remodelled in 1730 but incorporates previous incarnations back to Roman times. ‘Grandeur in miniature’, but very much a family home.

Chapel Cleeve Manor Chapel Cleeve Manor, Nr Minehead, Somerset

Chapel Cleeve Manor started life in the 1450s as a hostel for pilgrims attending the chapel of St Mary, which was built by the monks of Cleeve Abbey in the mid 15th century.

Clifton House Clifton House, King's Lynn, Norfolk

Probably the finest surviving merchant's town house in England, grade-one listed Clifton House provides 'the most remarkable catalogue of building periods from the middle ages onwards' (Pevsner).

Columbine Hall Columbine Hall, Stowmarket, Suffolk

Dating from 1390, the Grade II* timber-framed house is surrounded by a defensive moat which laps its walls. The owners have transformed the interior with imagination and filled it with their eccentric and ever-growing collections. The gardens include vistas of the rolling landscape beyond.

Combermere Abbey, Whitchurch, Shropshire

Combermere Abbey, with its large mere and 1,000-acre parkland, celebrates almost 900 years of history. The Cistercian monastery established in 1133 was dissolved in 1536, and the Tudor manor house created for the Cotton family included the Abbots Lodge.

Coombe Trenchard Coombe Trenchard, Okehampton, Devon

Enjoy a leisurely afternoon with Sarah Marsh, the owner of Coombe Trenchard, who will share her passion for restoring these beautiful Edwardian gardens. Your guided tour will then take you into Coombe Trenchard, a fine example of an Arts & Crafts country house.

Copped Hall, Epping, Essex

A chance to see restoration in progress: Palladian mansion of 1753-8, burnt in 1917, asset stripped in 1950. From 1986 to 1995 a prolonged campaign was fought to save the mansion and its Conservation Area from repeated large-scale development proposals.

Cothelstone Manor Cothelstone Manor, Taunton, Somerset

Cothelstone Manor is the home of Nigel and Finny Muers-Raby and their three sons. The Manor is a grade II*-listed historic house situated in stunning countryside at the foot of the Quantock Hills and dates from the early 1600s, although there has been a settlement at Cothelstone since Saxon times

Crow's Hall Crow’s Hall, Stowmarket, Suffolk

An avenue of double oaks leads to a mellow Tudor building with fine detailing, surrounded by a large, fish-filled moat with two outer moats. The site dates from the Anglo-Saxon period.

Crowcombe Court Crowcombe Court, Taunton, Somerset

Crowcombe Court was built as a statement of wealth and a house to entertain in by Thomas Carew. Completed in 1739 to a design by Nathaniel Ireson, who also built Stourhead and Van House, the style is described as English Baroque and sits between the Queen Anne and Georgian periods.

Delamore Delamore, Ivybridge, Devon

The present and fourth Delamore, with stunning gardens was laid out and built in 1859. The private chapel and house have unique stained glass from the period and earlier and an outstanding private art collection of West Country artists, plus the largest Cromlech in the world.

Earsham Hall Earsham Hall, Nr Bungay, Suffolk

This large, authentic Queen Anne house with medieval origins is home to an enthusiastic extended family and a haunting of ghosts. ‘Butcher’ Cumberland visited and Sir John Soane made improvements; survived years as a boys’ school.

Finchingfield Guild Hall Finchingfield Guildhall, Finchingfield, Essex

Once ‘at risk’, this Grade I guildhall from the 15th and 17th centuries owned by the village has been restored for £1.8m (completed 2013) and is now a museum, library and hall.

Gatcombe Court Gatcombe Court, Flax Bourton, North Somerset

Somerset family manor house, which has evolved from the original solar built by John de Gatcombe before 1254. He used the stone from the Roman settlement upon which the house is built, and it is much in evidence.

Glemham Hall Glemham Hall, Woodbridge, Suffolk

The huge 16th-18th century house and its owner, Philip Hope-Cobbold, are equally exuberant – a double wow factor. As is the haunted staircase and fine 200-acre park designed by Repton and known for its ancient oaks. The whole estate was bought by the Cobbold brewing family in the early 20th century.

Great Fulford Great Fulford, Nr Exeter, Devon

Home of the Fulford family since c1190. Mainly early Tudor, built round a courtyard. Late C17th linenfold-panelled, double-height Great Hall with coved ceiling and good early Renaissance work. Grand early C18 staircase. South wing remodelled in the ‘gothic’ taste by James Wyatt in 1805.

Hall Bishops Tawton Hall, Bishops Tawton, Bishops Tawton, Devon

Hall has been home to the Chichester Family since the early 14th century. The house is approached up a mile long wooded drive. The current Victorian house, a vernacular mansion in the 16th century style, was built in the 1840's for Robert Chichester by Philip C.Hardwick. Hardwick produced a series of grand reception and family rooms with splendid views over the Taw valley and a staircase hall which forms the centre of the house.

Hardwick Hall, Ellesmere, Shropshire

Hardwick Hall (Grade II*) was built on a fresh site in 1720 by John Kynaston, moving from Hordley Hall, birthplace of the Shropshire Highwaymen, Wild Humphrey Kynaston, second son of Sir Roger Kynaston and still lived in by direct Kynaston family descendants today.

Harlington Manor Harlington Manor, Harlington, Bedfordshire

Harlington Manor is a house dating from the 16th century, though there is a possibility that it dates from the late 1390s and stands on a significantly earlier site.

Hartsheath, Pontblyddyn, Mold, Flintshire

Hartsheath is a Grade II* country house in neo-classical style, set in a 19th century landscape park. The house dates to the early 18th century, though it was heavily rebuilt in the early 19th century.

Hatton Grange, Hatton, Shifnal, Shropshire

Hatton Grange was built in 1764 for Plowden Slaney by the Shrewsbury Architect Thomas Farnolls Pritchard. It is one of his most complete existing works and is a good example of a provincial Georgian country house set in its own grounds. Surrounded by beautiful gardens, the house remains very much a family home.

Haughley House Haughley House, Stowmarket, Suffolk

Late medieval manor, with C18 additions, adjacent to outer bailey of ruined Norman castle, destroyed 1173. Manor of Haughley was one of the foremost in England, previous lords included Henry II and Mary Tudor (present owner is the current lord).

Heath Farmhouse Heath Farmhouse, Harleston, Suffolk

Elizabethan farmhouse situated in the Waveney Valley, additional wings added in C17 & C18.The unspoilt interior retains Tudor colouring in various rooms. Original features include, C17 ‘creased’ doors, St. Cross bricks, shutter grooves, protection marks, rare game larder and a large brick oven. Records list all farmers from 1779.

Henstead Exotic Garden, Henstead, Suffolk

The tropics in Suffolk with 100 palms, 20 bananas, 200 bamboos and 30-foot tiered walk leading to a ‘Thai’ pavilion.

Hintlesham Hall Hintlesham Hall, Ipswich, Suffolk

Sections of the Hall date back to the mid C15. Façade built by Richard Powys c.1720 conceals Grade I, C-shape Elizabethan mansion of which chimney breasts remain.

Hockwold Hall, Hockwold cum Wilton, Thetford, Norfolk

An Elizabethan E-plan manor with 15th century origins. Sir Cyril Wyche (a founder of the Royal Society) took over the estate in 1688 and lived there until 1707. Prince Victor Duleep Singh, the eldest son of the last Maharaja of Lahore and a godson of Queen Victoria, came to live here in 1895 and added a substantial extension at the end of the 19th century. Fine walled gardens.

Hoses Hall Hoses Hall, Halstead, Essex

Originally a Saxon manor given to Sir Roger Huse (also spelled Husee, Hose or Hosey) in 1312 by John de Buick, hence the name Hoses Hall.

Hoveton Hall Hoveton Hall, Norwich, Norfolk

The Hoveton Hall Estate covers 620 acres of parkland, gardens, woodland, arable and grazing agricultural land and a fine Regency hall built between 1809-1812 of gault brick with a slate roof whose design is attributed to Humphry Repton and his son John Adey Repton.

Ingatestone Hall Ingatestone Hall, Ingatestone, Essex

Ingatestone Hall is a 16th century manor house surrounded by approximately 11 acres of grounds. The house was built by Sir William Petre, Secretary of State to four Tudor monarchs, and is still occupied by his descendants. It contains furniture, pictures and family memorabilia accumulated over the centuries.

Iscoyd Park Iscoyd Park, Whitchurch, Shropshire

Iscoyd Park has a rich and varied history with a string of colourful owners over the centuries. The house, as seen today, dates back to 1737. However, parts date back to 1700 and there was certainly a dwelling there some centuries before that.

Island Hall Island Hall, Godmanchester, Cambridgeshire

Island Hall is an important mid 18th century mansion, owned and restored by an award-winning interior designer. Located on the banks of the Great Ouse in the centre of Godmanchester, this family home has Georgian rooms with fine period detail and interesting possessions relating to the owners' ancestors since their first occupation of the house in 1800.

Kelly House Kelly House, Lifton, Devon

Home to the Kelly family for over 900 years, this Grade I Georgian house offers ancestral intrigue and an introduction to the social and architectural history of country houses. The house dates from the 15th century with alterations from every century until 1877. Pevsner compliments its good contemporary features. Unusual brick granary.

Kirstead Hall Kirstead Hall, Norwich, Norfolk

A fine Grade I listed Elizabethan manor house circa 1560 of E-shaped plan with stepped Flemish gable ends, brickwork with attractive blue diaper decoration and pin-tiled roof, standing in four acres. The gardens are partly walled with an important Grade II* octagonal dovecote in the grounds.

Knowsley Hall Knowsley Hall, Prescot, Merseyside

Home to the 19th Earl and Countess of Derby, Knowsley Hall has been in the ownership of the Stanley family since 1385. It is believed that a building of sorts has been on the current hall’s site since the 12th century. However, today’s building dates, in part, from about 1495 with a later Georgian wing and some extremely fine Victorian and Edwardian interiors.

Layer Marney Tower Layer Marney Tower, Nr Colchester, Essex

Grade I red-brick Tudor gatehouse is decorated with Italianate terracotta. Henry, First Lord Marney, Henry VIII's Lord Privy Seal started the work to create a magnificent palace but died in 1523 and work stopped two years later. Henry VIII came to stay while it was still being built.

Letheringham Lodge Letheringham Lodge, Woodbridge, Suffolk

Recent dating to 1472 makes this a rare prestigious pre-Tudor hunting lodge. The original structure can still be seen as square and jettied on all four sides, with later additions in 1610. Built by John Wingfield, an important figure at the court of King Henry VIII.

Letheringham Water Mill, Suffolk,

A mill was recorded here in the Domesday Book, but the present building dates from 1740 with 19th century additions. It ceased operating as a mill in 1927 and was grade II-listed by English Heritage in 1966. Timber-framed with clapboarding and a plain tile roof consisting of two floors and two attic floors to the gambrel roof.

Linden House, Eye, Suffolk

Linden House is one of the most important buildings in this historic Suffolk town. The house originated as a Tudor period farmhouse, being converted to a Georgian townhouse in the 18th century.

Lukesland Lukesland, Ivybridge, Devon

Fanciful Victorian Gothic house on the southern slopes of Dartmoor, built as a hunting lodge in 1862. Lived in by the Howell family since 1931. Features include a mock hammer-beam roof and impressive vaulting. Gardens are home to Britain’s largest magnolia.

Mercury Theatre, Colchester, Essex

See behind the scenes of a leading producing theatre. Visit includes a talk on its history and plans for the future. Tour of set-building workshop, costume and props department and set for current show (see below for details), will show how a production is staged.

Mere House, Maidstone, Kent

Mere House was built in 1780 as the new Mereworth rectory for the patron, 21st Lord Le Despencer, founder of the libertine Monks of Medmenham, Chancellor of the Exchequer, Postmaster General and prayer book reviser.

Morton Hall Gardens, Holberrow Green, Redditch, Worcestershire

One of Worcestershire’s best kept secrets. Perched atop an escarpment with breathtaking views, lies a garden of outstanding beauty. A garden for all seasons, it features one of the country’s largest fritillary meadows, sumptuous herbaceous borders, a striking potager, a majestic woodland rockery and an elegant Japanese Stroll Garden.

Nantiago, Knighton, Powys

A borders long house with cruck frames of circa 1540, with later extensions and Regency Gothick windows. In use as local vicarage for 180 years. Attractive grounds with small lake and arboretum. Small collection of classic cars.

Netherhall Manor Netherhall Manor, Ely, Cambridgeshire

One-acre walled garden filled with old-fashioned flowers. Tours by the expert owner and garden writer.
April: Tudor primroses, old varieties of hyacinths, daffodils, crown imperials; Late April/May: Old-English florists' tulips; Late July/August: Victorian gold and silver tri-coloured pelargoniums, heliotrope, calceolaria and pompom dahlias.

Old Bowlish House Old Bowlish House, Shepton Mallet, Somerset

Built around 1618, this Grade II* clothier’s house was modernised by the Georgians c.1735. A Palladian frontage and stone mullioned rear windows are two of the external features which enclose finely proportioned rooms, original fireplaces and a magnificent heavily-carved Jacobean openwork scroll oak staircase which winds through all three of its floors.

Old Hall Old Hall, South Burlingham, Norfolk

Old Hall is an Elizabethan lawyer’s country house, with a decorated porch, wallpaintings of hunting scenes and many original features; the present owners rescued it from dereliction and have filled it with colour and a hugger-mugger of books and pictures . A house included in Simon Jenkins’ Thousand Best Houses

Otley Hall Otley Hall, Ipswich, Suffolk

Grade I, C16 moated hall, still a family home, is a perfect example of unspoilt late medieval architecture. According to Farrer (Old Suffolk Houses, Vol. 6), the impressive great hall and linenfold parlour, which look out onto the rose garden, are unequalled in Suffolk.

Ousden House Ousden House, Nr Newmarket, Suffolk

A pretty Georgian building, formally a stable and coach house which, 18 years ago, was fully converted to form an elegant and delightful house. At the same the owners have created a remarkable 8-acre garden which includes extensive herbaceous borders, a rose garden,water garden, a long double crinkle yew hedge, formal courtyard, clock tower and dovecote.

Pitchford Hall & Tree House, Shrewsbury, Shropshire

Described as Britain’s finest half-timbered house, Pitchford Hall was owned by the Colthurst family for more than 500 years before being sold in 1992. Now on the ‘at Risk’ register, the house has been bought back by Rowena Colthurst and her husband, who are embarking on the massive task of saving it, following 25 years of neglect.

Plas Dinam, Llandinam, Powys

Grade II listed Plas Dinam, in the village of Llandinam is the much loved family home to the fifth generation of descendants of the famous Victorian railway and mining entrepreneur David Davies. Designed and built by the renowned London based architect W E Nesfield in 1873-74.

Raynham Hall, Fakenham, Norfolk

Grade I* early C17th house by Sir Roger Townshend with interiors redesigned by William Kent dating from 1725, these were carried out for the second Viscount Townshend, an important political figure at the court of Queen Anne and King George I.

Rippington Manor Rippington Manor, Nr Sandy, Bedfordshire

This remarkably complete brick-built Tudor manor house sits on monastery remains recorded in the Domesday Book.

Roos Hall Roos Hall, Beccles, Suffolk

A grade I red brick Tudor manor house dated 1583, Roos Hall is an important example of Elizabethan classicism in the Waveney valley vernacular tradition. Set in its medieval parkland with river frontage, the hall retains original fireplaces and panelling.

Royal Gunpowder Mills, Waltham Abbey, Essex

Described by Historic England as the ‘most important site for the history of explosives in Europe’ this remarkable and beautiful landscape chronicles the development of explosives, propellants and finally rocket motors and fuels from the Civil War to the Cold War, including rare surviving WW1 factory buildings, and intriguing structures and earthworks.

Rugbourne Farm, Bristol, Somerset

A small, early Renaissance (C17) ex-manor house, farmed until 2002 when the current owners bought it as their home, saving it from imminent collapse. Architect Andy Paterson, with the help of his wife Zanna (lecturer specialising in Renaissance drama), has lovingly repaired it, and work is still being completed on the second floor.

Shilstone Shilstone House, Modbury, Devon

Shilstone is a lovingly restored Georgian house in the heart of the Devon countryside, overlooking an important historical landscape, which includes the only known and nationally important C17 water theatre in the UK.

Sidbury Manor Sidbury Manor, Sidmouth, Devon

Victorian manor house built in 1870s by David Brandon for Sir Stephen Cave MP (in Disraeli’s cabinet); described by Pevsner as ‘a mansion in free Jacobean Renaissance style.’

Silverstone Farm, East Dereham, Norfolk

House and garden of George Carter ‘one of 10 best garden designers in Britain’ Sunday Times. Visitors see ground floor of 1920s neo-Georgian farmhouse, library in barn (part of 1830s farmyard complex) and elegant formal gardens in 2 acres, all accompanied by the owner.

Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings, Spital Square, London,

A Georgian silk merchant’s house located in Spitalfields and sensitively converted for use as the head office of the charity the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings (SPAB). Hear about the Society’s work and see inside this wonderfully atmospheric working building.

South Elmham Hall South Elmham Hall, Harleston, Norfolk

South Elmham Hall is a 13th century former bishop's palace standing within a four-acre moated site. The 16th century exterior of the Grade I-listed house hides a medieval hall, and traces of the bishop’s private chambers. Many features survive including probably the earliest domestic wall paintings in Suffolk

Spencers Spencers Garden, Great Yeldham, Essex

Spencers' Garden is set in a traditional English country estate. Lady Anne Spencer, granddaughter of the first Duke of Marlborough, a forebear of Princess Diana, built the house in the mid-18th century. It is surrounded by 100 acres of parkland, grounds and woodland with fine, mature trees and romantic gardens which were renovated by top garden designer Tom Stuart-Smith.

St Peter’s Hall, Bungay, Suffolk

Dating from 1280, St. Peter's Hall is nestled in unspoilt Suffolk countryside adjacent to the famous St. Peter's Brewery. It is a unique, romantic and historic half-moated former manor farmhouse.

Stanstead Bury Stanstead Bury, Nr Ware, Herts

Stanstead Bury is an intriguing house of Tudor origin. Originally a monastic property, it has been occupied for the majority of this period since the dissolution by three families: the Baeshes, Fieldes and Trowers. They have all left their mark and the house is now an unusual mix of architectural styles.

Talboys, Keevil, Wiltshire

Talboys is one of the oldest properties in Wiltshire. Dating from 1420 in part, the house is timber framed with wattle and daub panels on a dressed limestone plinth. The interiors are interesting and unusual with a fine vaulted hall, wall paintings and much wood carving. Many fabulous old stained glass lead lined windows.

Talliston, Great Dunmow, Essex

Once an ordinary house in an ordinary street, Talliston House and Gardens have been transformed into a series of inspiring locations, each set in a different time and place. In 25 years, the project has taken a three-bedroomed, semi-detached ex-council house in Essex and transformed it into what The Sunday Times calls ‘Britain’s most extraordinary home.’

The Abbey The Abbey, Coggeshall, Essex

The Abbey was founded in 1142 on land given by Stephen and Matilda. The recently restored Abbot’s stew pond was a feature when Edward II held court here in 1325; in 1293 the local vicar was gaoled for illegal fishing. The tour includes the abbot’s house and chapel, guest house, cloister, riverside courtyard with knot garden and hall of the manor house.

The Swan, Lavenham, Suffolk

A famous medieval inn in a famous medieval town. The Swan at Lavenham is an iconic timber-framed building, steeped in centuries of history. Dating back to the 15th century, the building has been adapted and developed into a luxury hotel and spa, while retaining its medieval charm.

Thorn House & Garden, Plymouth, Devon

Thorn sits on the south-east facing bank of the River Yealm in South Devon. The historical gardens principally created by William Arkwright have breathtaking views and hold an exotic collection of trees from around the globe. The architecture and vegetation have been heavily influenced over the years by an eclectic and eccentric mix of owners.

Tissington Hall Tissington Hall, Tissington, Derbyshire

Built in 1609 by Francis FitzHerbert whose family still lives here. The main part of the building houses the main hall, the dining room, two state drawing rooms and various associated rooms around its centre with the hall facing due east.

Tiverton Castle Tiverton Castle, Tiverton, Devon

Come and hear the fascinating history of 900 years at Tiverton Castle and enjoy the beautiful gardens. Originally built in 1106, the castle was altered down the ages and building periods from C14 to modern are visible. Once home to the medieval Earls of Devon and of Princess Katherine Plantagenet (daughter of Edward IV), it was captured by Sir Thomas Fairfax during the Civil War when a lucky shot hit the drawbridge chain.

Valentines Mansion Valentines Mansion & Gardens, Ilford, Essex

Valentines Mansion is a Grade II* country house with historic gardens, built c1696 for Elizabeth Tillotson and her family, after the death of her husband, the Archbishop of Canterbury.

Voewood Voewood, High Kelling, Norfolk

One of the finest Arts and Crafts houses in Britain, built by E.S. Prior for Percy Lloyd, 1903-5. 'By far the most interesting building in this part of Norfolk... a violently idiosyncratic house reminiscent of Gaudi,' says Pevsner.

Warner Textile Archive Warner Textile Archive, Braintree, Essex

Situated in part of the original mid-nineteenth century mill buildings, the archive has nearly 100,000 samples, designs and documents showing the history of Warner & Sons.

West Stow Hall West Stow Hall, West Stow, Suffolk

The gatehouse and Hall may have been built by the last abbot of Bury St Edmunds about 1520 although more likely by John Croft a wealthy merchant. There was probably a moated house already on the site, the first documentary reference to it being from the middle 13th Century. The colonnade linking the gatehouse and main house was built in 1580.

Willey Park, Broseley, Shropshire

Willey Park is a complete example of an early nineteenth-century Neo-classical mansion of exceptional quality, the masterpiece of architect Lewis Wyatt.

Wingfield College Wingfield College, Eye, Suffolk

Hidden behind the Georgian facade is the original chantry college of priests founded by Sir John de Wingfield in 1362. Inside are the medieval great hall, part of the 14th century cloister and Tudor and Georgian interiors.