Coughton Court North Wing, Alcester, Warwickshire
John de Throckmorton married a de Spiney heiress in 1409 and commenced building Coughton Court, essentially an early Tudor house with a flamboyant 16th century gate tower and some Georgian remodelling. This year, the Throckmortons, Britain's oldest Roman Catholic family, are celebrating 600 years of living at Coughton. It was here that both the Throckmorton Plot of 1583 and the Gunpowder Plot of 1605 were fomented to return the old religion to the country.
The house was gifted to the National Trust in 1946. The family still live in the private north wing, while the south wing is managed by the Trust.
The gardens, described by the Royal Horticultural Society as 'breath-taking' have been designed by Christine Williams, the daughter of the owner. Work, which started in 1991, includes a bog garden and walled garden.
Tour of the private north wing, home of the family, and tour of the fine, award-winning gardens. Tour will include the old kitchen, dining room, butler’s pantry, gold drawing room and certain bedrooms. There are a Roman Catholic church and a Protestant church in the grounds, which do not form part of the tour but are open to visitors before or afterwards.
23 April: spring bulb tour; 18 June: early evening tour with a glass of wine in the garden; 3 July: early evening rosé wine and roses tour – enjoy a selection of rosé wine in the rose labyrinth
Situated between the M5, M40 and M42, Coughton lies between the two villages of Alcester and Studely and is well signposted from the A435.
Tea, coffee and cakes. Wine during evening tours in June and July.
No dogs. Because our properties are old and fragile, unfortunately we cannot include children under 14.
There is wheelchair access to all the property including a stairlift to the first floor.