Glemham Hall, Woodbridge, Suffolk
The huge 16th-18th century house and its owner, Philip Hope-Cobbold, are equally exuberant – a double wow factor. As is the haunted staircase and fine 200-acre park designed by Repton and known for its ancient oaks. The whole estate was bought by the Cobbold brewing family in the early 20th century.
The red brick mansion, originally of the Elizabethan period, was built (around 1560) by the de Glemhams, a family which took its name from Great (Magna) and Little (Parva) Glemham. Considerable structural changes were made to the Hall between 1712 and 1722, giving it an overall Georgian façade. The Hall remained in various branches of the North family (Lord Guilford) for more than 200 years (1709-1923)
In 1923 it was purchased by the Cobbold brewing family and became the home of Captain John Murray Cobbold, founder and first chairman of Ipswich Town Football Club as a professional club, and his wife Lady Blanche, a daughter of the 9th Duke of Devonshire. Captain Cobbold – then Colonel – was killed in 1944, when a flying bomb destroyed the Guards' Chapel in London. Glemham Hall is a lived-in home, now occupied by their grandson Major Hope-Cobbold, his wife and their family. He is Patron of Ipswich Town Football Club, was High Sheriff of Suffolk 2005-2006 and is a Deputy Lieutenant for the county.
Visitors will be able to see the majority of the Hall including cellar and attic rooms. The garden and its ice house will also be available to view.
Ghostly supper tour in October, 3.5 hours, £40 including cellar supper; Christmas tour £21 including mince pies and mulled wine.
Philip is a wonderfully exuberant host and we all enjoyed a lovely afternoon. The home-made cakes were delicious ... please thank Mr Hope-Cobbold for an interesting, informative, entertaining and enjoyable afternoon's visit to Glemham Hall. We also enjoyed the gardens and learning of future plans.
The house stands back from the A12 between Wickham Market and Saxmundham. It is sign-posted from the road with white on brown historic house signs. From the south go through Little Glemham village, after half a mile turn right at lodge gates. From the north go through Stratford St. Andrew village, after a mile turn left at lodge gates.
|Duration||2 hours/ 3.5 hours|
Tea, coffee, cakes and biscuits. Ghostly tour in October includes two-course supper. Christmas tour includes mince pies and mulled wine.
No photography. No dogs. No smoking. Because our properties are old and fragile, unfortunately we cannot include children under 14.
Restricted to ground floor of house. Lawns and grassed pathways in garden.