Hockwold Hall, Hockwold cum Wilton, Thetford, Norfolk
A Tudor house built by Sir Thomas Tindall for a manor dating back to the 13th century. Seized by the Crown in 1661 and sold to Sir Cyril Wyche, a President of the Royal Society. Remaining in the Wyche-Clough-Newcome family till the 1930s, it was extended for Prince Victor Duleep Singh, son of the Maharajh of Lahore and godson of Queen Victoria in 1895. Fine walled gardens.
Four times since 1275, the property has passed through the female line, and it has an interesting and varied history. The east wing of the house and cellar retain some 16th century features, while the west wing and rear of the house have been much altered, probably in the 18th century. An extension was added by Prince Victor in 1895. In the 1930s, Hockwold Hall was purchased by Sir Harry Peat, senior partner of Peat-Marwick, now KPMG. After passing through several owners since 1978, Hockwold Hall is now a venue for weddings, group stay and other events.
The gardens occupy five acres of the estate, with a walled garden of over an acre adjoining the rear of the house. The garden has many interesting trees, herbaceous and mixed borders, a crevice garden, a “banjo” yew allée, an orchard and other features.
Ground floor of house, cellar, first floor including 8 bedrooms by the owner, and a tour of the gardens and outside features by the head gardener.
The house is situated off Station Road, Hockwold, adjacent to the village of Hockwold. If travelling from the south, from A14, take A11 north and at Barton Mills follow A1065 towards Brandon for 6.7 miles past RAF Lakenheath. Turn left onto to Wangford Road (signed “Viewing Areas”) and follow the road for 2.1 miles. At the end of road turn right towards Hockwold.and drive for 2.3 miles, over the level crossing into Hockwold. After the New Inn Pub, St Peter’s Church and some white cottages, the main gates of Hockwold Hall appear on the left.
Arriving from the North, from the junction of the A134 and A1065 at Mundford follow the A1065 toward Brandon, turning right to Weeting at Pyots Hill. Turn right at the junction into Weeting and in the village take the left turn marked Hockwold-cum-Wilton. Follow the road all the way through Hockwold to Main Street, bearing left, and remaining on Main Street, just as the main road becomes Malts Lane. The gates of Hockwold Hall are directly opposite at the junction with Feltwell Road (B1112).
Tea or coffee and cakes.
Access to the ground floor of the house and gardens.